Holding On to Our...


The funeral was today and it was amazing to see so many assorted members of the family and old family friends. The "North Hill" community of which both David and his family and my own family were apart of, was well represented. People that I have not seen since I was in high school, and even before than, made it in to town today to show pay their respect and to show their support of the family.

The family asked old family friend and old high school teacher, Jack Hicken to officiate and though Jack is well known in our hometown, and to any one else who is acquainted with him, as a talker, I felt that he did a good job of his speech. I do wonder if someone else may have done a good job, and I mentioned that to Stephen - who agreed - but Jack's history with our family is rich and it is long. I was glad to see him if for no other reason than he is one of those faces that I had not seen in some time.


Avery and Erin did the eulogy and through their words, I think they gave everyone who was present a very good look at what they saw when they, and their brothers, looked at their father. They did a very good job, I thought, of showing his character and giving everyone a brief overview of his life while at the same time giving the assembled group some amusing and sentimental stories.


Stephen provided the musical tribute and performed an inspired Spanish piece that was moving and intense. And as everything that I've ever heard him play, it was wonderful and extremel well played.


The four of them: Erin, Danny, Avery and Stephen, put together a beautiful video tribute to their dad as well. It was very nicely done and the pictures themselves also were a wonderful depiction of David and his life.


Overall, I'd say that not only did they honor their father with all they said and did but they did it while maintaining their dignity and integrity. An emotional display would not have affected that overall but they all also managed to maintain their composure very well throughout the service.

I can only hope that when my father, or mother, dies, I am able to hold myself to the same strict levels. Somehow I doubt that I shall be able to do it but I suppose only time will be able to reveal the truth.

I farmed the land,
I tramped the wood,
These are the things I understood.

No grand schemes, they passed me by.
I knew the brook, the hills, the sky.

To hunt a bird, to wet a line,
Gifts from God, so good and fine.

Friend and kin, I loved them so;
Although I'm gone, I'm sure they know,
I'm now at peace, life's battle done,
I've faced the foe and I have won.

--Earl Smithson--

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Our Newest Treasure

The Value of Keeping Your Promise

A Quickie!