Let's Get Physical


We’ve always tried to instill a love of a physically active life style in our kids. Whether it was bike rides in the neighborhood, swimming lessons, hiking in the mountains, gymnastics, football, or simply walking to the library instead of walking – we’ve tried to make sure that they are being active, trying new things, and having fun.

Because, honestly, it sort of drives us crazy (as parents) when all the kids do is sit on their butts playing Minecraft or other video games, or watching TV or movies. And let’s be frank, the more I focus on my writing career and blogging gigs the worse I’m being as an example of what they should be doing to stay active – because I’m constantly reading a book (hardcopy or on a digital device), working on my iPad or iPhone, or sitting in front of my computer writing.

Which is why I push for sports and physical literacy programs. And is why Heli-Dad (even though he loves going for hikes and bike rides with the kids on the weekends) fully supports my pushing.


Late summer and the fall was basically all about Gamer Boy and his football.  During that same time the girls did swimming lessons as well but through December we had a very appreciated reprieve from the hustle of extra-curriculars.

Since January though, Princess has pretty much held the primary focus of any extra-curricular activities we’ve been involved with. January brought about the beginning of an abbreviated basketball season within our school district for the senior elementary students. She loved playing. Bottom line, loved it. I fully expect that we will see her continue to play the sport right through high school. And truth be told, the family really enjoyed going to her games and watching her. (Me, myself and I LOVED every minute of every game. But then, basketball was about the only sport I ever really learned as a kid and that was while on the sidelines as a cheerleader for my own school’s teams.)



Within days of basketball wrapping up in March, badminton try-outs began. (There were also a couple days of Spring League basketball tryouts that happened at the same time but as Princess didn’t end up making the district team, I’m not going to mention it again.) But badminton… It’s a 4-day a week commitment for Princess with a rotating schedule that sort of makes me crazy but now that it’s nice we’ve been making her walk or bike to and from practices on her own. Her first (and possibly only tourney) is this Friday. I’ve never watched a badminton game before. I have no idea how a badminton tourney works, or even really how a game is played/won. In the meantime, she’s actually really into it and seems to be enjoying herself immensely. I guess it’ll be a learning experience for all of us, if nothing else.

While Princess’s activities have been keeping us busy, Gamer Boy and Angel Face have largely been at loose ends. They’ve enjoyed the freedom it’s given them for hanging out with friends and play-dates, but hasn’t given them much in the way of activity. So I managed to find a program through the local university that they started last week. It’s basically a track and field program of running, jumping and throwing, but the true emphasis of the program is a broader scope on physical literacy.



Angel Face really just needs something to do – she loves being active but similar to my own personality, if left to herself she will happily sit in her room playing with her toys, reading or drawing. So that’s her. For Gamer Boy, the program is something that I think will help him improve certain skills (throwing especially) for the upcoming football season. In any case, they’ve done a few classes, it’s twice a week for 9 weeks, and have both seemed to like it so far. My fingers will stay crossed that that continues.

And you know it’s spring and the end of the school year is quickly approaching. There’s really only about 9 weeks of school left. Which means it’s time to start looking for summer camp (the girls loved their long weekend away last year) for all three kids and to get them registered for at least one session of swimming lessons over the summer.

Granted we have to schedule that around Lil’ Sis & Mech Man’s wedding in August and the annual adventure week for the Farm Family (which includes all of Writer Mom’s family) that happens in July.

And I may have offered to steal Big Sis & Bro’s munchkins (HG and Genie) for a week in there as well.

Well crap.

Looks like my summer is going to be as busy, hectic and hilariously chaotic as usual. ;-) 

See you again soon!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Our Newest Treasure

The Value of Keeping Your Promise

A Quickie!