Countdown, T-Minus...

This past spring, just after the Easter holiday in fact, Little Sister was somewhat shocked when Car Guy proposed. I say ‘somewhat’ because she’d been less then subtly hinting for, impatiently waiting, and half expecting a proposal for months. Literally months. But you know, when Car Guy finally did do it, it actually was a surprise to her which I suppose is, or was the intention.

Since then family discussions inevitably turn to wedding planning, wedding plans, and all other things wedding centered. Little Sister is the baby of the Farm Family after all and the last of us Farm Girls to get married. It’s also been 12 years since we’ve had a wedding (that one being mine and Heli Dad’s) in the Farm Family… though for us Corner Table folks, we just celebrated on the Fairest side with Lil’ Sis and Mech Man’s nuptials last August… As you can imagine this wedding is something of a BIG DEAL for all of us.

As with everything in this family, when we decide to do something we jump in with both feet and go full steam ahead. Which of course means that when Little Sister and her Car Guy decided to get hitched, they decided they wanted to do it as soon as possible and in style.

Today marks 3 weeks to the wedding.

And with that auspicious number on mind, here are three things I’ve come to realize recently:

1)  I pretty much hate shopping. For anything. I used to enjoy it – for shoes, for clothes, for things, for anything – now it mostly just makes me tired and frustrated. Once this wedding is over, I’d be happy if I didn’t have to go shopping for the rest of my life, but you know: kids, Christmas. Ugh, crap.

2)  In many ways, weddings are a lot more fun when you’re merely an invited guest. I mean, there’s so much frustration and anxiousness that occurs behind the scenes when you’re part of the families and/or the planning, that until it’s all over you hardly have time to enjoy it all. God, if there were one piece of advice I could give anyone about to embark on the process of planning a wedding it’s simply to make sure you’re taking the time to enjoy the little things and not killing yourself with the stress of the ‘big picture.’ The big picture is important, but it’s the little things that are going to get you through it all.

3)  Weddings make me emotional. Thinking of weddings makes me emotional. Just writing those words makes me emotional. (Dear Lord, I’m a mess.) And this wedding? This wedding is going to make me a sobbing mess of happy, still sorta hormonal, emotions.

So, wedding thoughts… Any words of advice for the Bride & Groom (to be) for their wedding day? Or hey, what’s your favorite wedding day memory?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Our Newest Treasure

A Quickie!

An Updated Cast of Family Characters